Taking Your ERP to the Cloud: 5 Questions That Will Convince You It’s the Right Move
Keeping up with and controlling your organization’s finances means you have to closely watch the numbers, however that does not mean you have to stay on-premises to do it. Cloud-based financial management and enterprise resource planning (ERP) is not only possible, it’s also advantageous.
Advocates and skeptics will find it hard to argue the facts surrounding cloud computing. Price Waterhouse Coopers (PWC) predicted correctly that investments in cloud-based ERPs would double by year end 2016. With the shift to mobile phones and similar devices and organizations increasing dependency on the Internet and social media, we are soundly entrenched in a digital marketplace. That means the cloud has become the clear choice for organizations across industries, both in the private and public sector. It’s not just for managing relationships with citizens anymore.
It is common to question whether your financial operations can be safely and efficiently managed in a cloud-based system. If you ask the right questions, you will find some surprising facts on the advances cloud technology has made—even surpassing on-premises. Advocates will have all the information they need to support moving business to the cloud, and skeptics should find themselves not only less skeptical, but also impressed by the real potential that the cloud offers.
5 Questions to Guide Your Decision Towards the Cloud
ERP truly provides a strategic advantage whether you deploy on-premises or in the cloud. That decision will likely depend on your specific requirements and your culture. You definitely want to be confident in your decision no matter which platform you choose.
Prior to deciding how to deploy your ERP solution, ask these questions, which will demonstrate that the cloud is a viable and beneficial option:
- Is time a factor? Legacy systems typically cost more to maintain than a cloud-based platform and commonly put your data and your business at risk. It’s essential that you have quick access to reliable financial data ensuring your business is moving in the right direction. We usually find that the cloud offers faster implementation than those deployed on-premises, but this varies due to certain factors like special integrations and customizations.
- What level of security do you need? A hosting provider will usually offer stronger security than what you already have in place. Smaller organizations do not always have the means to invest in skilled IT professionals. Hosting providers bridge these gaps and provide a higher level of security and expertise, freeing up your IT resources and budget.
- Where are your end-users? Remote workers, field service team members, traveling sales reps, and others are usually out of the office more than in. These employees will now have the ability to enter, retrieve and share data from pretty much anywhere, at any time and on most any mobile device. With real-time data, your people can take action on the spot and meet their customer’s needs.
- What volume and type of data are you managing? On-premise servers and systems are frequently plagued with serious data limitations. The cloud offers more breathing room to scale your data requirements up and down. Cloud applications typically process data more quickly in the cloud, especially if internal systems are antiquated or inadequate.
- What are your backup and disaster recovery strategies? If your IT department already has a manual or automatic backup system in place, ask what your hosting provider has to offer. Because greater flexibility and storage space is offered in the cloud, you’ll find a more redundant, cost-effective, and secure solution for your backup and disaster recovery strategy.
Choose the Right Cloud ERP Partner to Put Together Your Plan
Choosing the right cloud ERP provider is a critical as the ERP you choose. Most likely, you aren’t making this decision alone, and you might be dealing with both advocates and skeptics. This is where an experienced ERP cloud implementation partner can help, so you can feel confident in your decision.
To help build your case, download The Case for Accounting & ERP in the Cloud, an eBook that dispels myths, takes concerns and turns them into confidence, and shows you how you can benefit from cloud-based ERP.
To learn more, contact our cloud ERP experts, who will be with you throughout your decision-making journey and are ready to help you implement your solution.